Airline Cancellation Charges are a Big Business

March 10, 2017

in Flying Hell Commentary

Another way the airline industry has found a way to screw the consumer:

1. You purchase a ticket.  Of course it’s non-refundable; why would I want to pay double the amount when my true intentions is to fly?

2. Unfortunately, there are circumstances that do not allow you to use that ticket (but you do cancel with enough time for them to reissue it to someone else), so MAYBE you get some credit. But of course they charge you over $200 for cancellation.

3. That seat now gets occupied by someone who pays a higher premium because it is closer to the date of travel.

4. The airlines not only did NOT get cheated because there was no one in that seat, but now they have your money for doing absolutely nothing for you, PLUS the money of the passenger that does occupy the seat.

Now, if you purchase the tickets months before the travel date you might have saved, and now you cancel and the person who does ultimately get that seat pays much more. So a seat that might have been $200 goes for $350 due to the date of travel. The airline now receives a total $550 for a shitty seat.

No longer do they serve any meals, boarding sucks, security at the airport is horrendous. This is why unless I have to be at a place quickly or it’s out of the country, I would much rather drive (even if the drive takes more than 24 hours). I remember the days when people used to wear their best clothing when they were flying. It’s truly disgusting how all these companies find loopholes to get paid for providing absolutely NO SERVICE.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

weyoun March 10, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Yeah, but that could be true for anything. Maintaining an airline with even a fleet of one craft let alone many is expensive for them, too. I don't agree with cutting corners, but the airline industry isn't as profitable as you think, given the fees and charges they have to pay and every time they land and take off, that's in addition to fuel. Alas, I agree, the lack of service and inability to cancel is extortionate. I get incredibly irritated when a company (that is, pretty much all of them) gets to make free money for doing nothing and as some sort of punishment for supposedly inconveniencing them or costing them their precious profit – which they profit from.

RedHead0186 March 15, 2017 at 12:34 pm

Agreed, anytime you make a reservation to any place it's a promise that you're going to show up, and if you can't show up, the business has a right to recoup some of that. Yes, some of the change fees are exorbitant, don't get me wrong, but I have no issue with the principle. (That's why I fly Southwest, no change fees).

Also, airport security isn't their fault, you can't really blame that one on the airlines. And yes, people used to dress up to fly but they also used to dress up to go anywhere. And back then air travel cost a lot more, even when accounting for inflation. So of course people dressed up, because the people flying could afford to fly and were the people who dressed up all the time anyway.

weyoun March 19, 2017 at 4:30 pm

Yep, air travel was a lot different in those days. And yeah, airlines aren't really the ones enforcing airport security, it actually makes it harder for them too.

MartinB105 March 16, 2017 at 4:00 am

"I remember the days when people used to wear their best clothing when they were flying."

What the hell is this supposed to mean? I'm glad that people today wear what they're comfortable in rather than trying to conform to some kind of silly misguided social or cultural convention.

Boo March 23, 2017 at 8:14 am

Back in the day first class was exactly that..first class. Nowadays with enough air miles/points or standby or simply asking the flight attendant just about anybody can sit in first class. And thats a good thing except for those of us who actually pay the extra 2,000 to sit there. For that extra money aside from a larger sitting area food and privacy (although that doesn't exist anymore as people now go through first class to get to their seats and the washrooms are now allowed to be used by the entire plane). The food (off a menu) and premium drinks they are suppose to offer does not exist.

I have been on several flights where they offer a beef dinner (off the menu) and have been told they ran out. Now mind you I was sitting at the back of first class but that is no excuse to not have what they offer especially paying premium. Same as drinks. I only drink light beer but when I ordered it I was told they ran out..this was one hour into a five hour flight. However, they did go back into economy and found one!!!

For those of you who fly first class on points or whatever guess thats all fine and dandy. But for those of us who actually pay for those seats it sucks. And I totally agree with the dressing up for a flight. It used to be a fun exciting thing to do. But now its just become a chore.

Nomad March 23, 2017 at 2:54 pm

I feel your pain — fortunately I've not experienced that (Virgin America, and Alaska are my two most frequent airlines.) Which airline has this inferior premium service?

Boo March 24, 2017 at 8:15 am