Stomach Contents Soil Clothes

September 13, 2010

in Baby & Kid Stories

The year was 1987 and I was flying from Lynchburg, VA to LaGuardia. I was flying on Piedmont Airlines and the flight from Lynchburg was on a Dash 8 to Baltimore with a quick stop in Charlottesville, VA.

In Charlottesville a family of three (Dad, Mom, 11 year old son) boarded the plane. I was in the back row and it so happened the kid sat next to me while the parents were in seats somewhere up front. The kid was pleasant enough and very excited about being on a plane, so we had some nice “airplane talk” during the flight. He also had a small bag of snacks that he quickly ate during the short flight. I distinctly remember a bag of chips, a Hershey bar, a King Size Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, and a pint of chocolate milk. There may have been more, but I definitely remember these items.

So the kid scarfed down these snacks and as we approached BWI we were placed in a holding pattern for 15 or 20 minutes and we were experiencing some mild to moderate turbulence during this time. I was enjoying the view out the window when I hear the kid say, “I’m not feeling so well.” I quickly removed the barf bag from the seat pocket and held it up to his face just as he began to puke up all the snacks he had just consumed. I, unfortunately, didn’t get it up there quite in time and some of the snacks made it onto my shirt and pants.

The parents who were up front were oblivious to this whole situation as was the flight attendant who was also strapped in up front during this time. I made the best of this bad situation and did the best I could until we landed, and at that point we were able to get everything cleaned up. The parents could not have been nicer and the dad gave me a $100 bill for my trouble. I told him this wasn’t necessary but he insisted. I appreciated him taking responsibility for his kid and the first thing I did in Baltimore was change my clothes. Fortunately, a few years earlier I had learned you should always carry a spare set of clothes in your carry-on.

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Morgan September 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I'm sure if this happen in today,in 2010, it would be an different outcome. Its sad how much peoples morals have changed!

Karrie September 13, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I had a VERY similar inident happen to me back in 2000, minus the good parents!

Morgan September 14, 2010 at 12:25 am

Hugh, it is a fact that the MAJORITY of Americans are immoral & unethical. If you don't believe it, do some traveling and it won't take long to see it.

Karl September 14, 2010 at 1:46 am

Indeed, people in our time are a lot more rude, selfish, beligerent etc and using the finger and the F word 24/7. Don't let me get started with highway driving or having dinner in a restaurant.

Morgan September 14, 2010 at 11:14 am

Hugh, you are the epitome of what I am speaking of. People,in general,can no longer have a debate without someone getting angry and debasing the other because of a difference in opinion. Just calm down! No need for calling others out of there name just because we fail to see eye to eye. When you say that "overall people are good", then maybe its due to the fact that you're so immoral yourself (demonstrated here by you're comments), that you can't see it.

Morgan September 14, 2010 at 1:52 pm

"See, after I try to post nice things about people, I see this d-bag posting, and I start to doubt my own argument. What a friggin’ troll."

by Hugh on Sep 14, 2010 at 11:51 am

Morgan September 14, 2010 at 2:03 pm
D-Money September 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

Gotta love parents that hate their spawn so much that neither one will sit with it.

Morgan September 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm
Salamandra September 14, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Too much cucko people here. We are good people not all is bad

Morgan September 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I'm not implying that all is immoral, just that we have been & are in a state of moral decline which is deleterious toward our Nation. In a recent Gallup poll 76% of those surveyed agree.

Aaron September 15, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I thought this was a site about plane rides?!?

Morgan September 16, 2010 at 2:23 pm

I believe that reason I'm getting so much flack for my comments, is because THE TRUTH HURTS!

Morgan September 17, 2010 at 8:26 am

Hugh, is this all this all that you're life consist of? I notice that there are about 8 people on this website that does nothing but pick apart & argue with everyone! Evidently each of you live some extremely dull lives.

I know the people aren't nearly what they used to be at all. I also know, based on the comments by you & others that you all are, for the most part, as liberal as they come. Liberalism is destroying every fiber of this Great Nation.

Morgan September 17, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Ron, thanks for bringing this MISTAKE to my attention.

My intention was to post, "is this all that your life consists of?"

I'm sure english teachers everywhere applaud you!

Jim September 21, 2010 at 11:28 am

Morgan,

For someone that would probably espouse to being a Christian, you sure have a terrible outlook on life, people and God's creation. Geesh, I thought being a Christian was about being full of joy, God's love, etc… It seems that your attention is more focused on the things of this earth, than the things of above.

You my friend, need to quit dwelling on the negative, and focus on the postitive. For with your attitude, you are making yourself miserable…and attempting to bring others with you….that doesn't seem very Godly.

Laura October 7, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I like your casual writing style, OP. Nice of you to stay chill, nice of the parents to be considerate.

All this BS about Americans being totally amoral and totally different from 1987 raises both my eyebrows, though. I don't consider myself a "good" person but if this happened to me I'd handle it the same way…

Anonymous Girl May 7, 2012 at 12:17 am

You know this is basically the exact same story as the one I just read. It's called Youngster's Flight From Hell, but the boy is 10 and his parents don't even acknowledge the girl that tells the helped him. It was so rude. It was the poor kid's first time flying and his parents abandoned him four seats ahead. About an hour into it, he started crying, and when the girl asked the parents if they wanted to switch seats, they just said that he would be okay and waved her off. Rude much. You seriously are a good person for helping and staying calm.