A Great Martini

November 10, 2007

in Food & Drink Stories

A good friend flew in from Chicago to NY, business class. His seatmate asked the stewardess for a martini. When she brought it, he thanked her and said that it was one of the best he ever had. A while later, to thank her again, he mentioned that he noticed that her bangs needed cutting, and as he was a stylist, he would love to return the favor of that wonderful martini and cut her bangs for her. She took offense and told him to not to talk to her like that. He said that he did not mean any offense, that he was not coming on to her, that he was gay, and that he was sorry. He did not have any more conversation with her for the remaining flight. When he landed, the police were waiting for him with handcuffs. Welcome to the new America!

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Caitlin April 2, 2009 at 9:28 am

I don't understand how that qualifies as a flight from hell.

I see humor and injustice.

I see that it is funny that stewardess seemed threatened by a guy who asked to trim her bangs. Maybe she did need the trim.

The guy may have been tipsy. Unless you can clarify that this guy harassed her the entire flight, there was no reason for him to be arrested.

He said he was sorry, as you said, and there was no more conversation after that. So why was he arrested? Was he a wanted fugitive? Or was he arrested because the stewardess called in security and exagerrated details to ensure that he be arrested?

Anonymous April 2, 2009 at 9:42 am

Sounds odd to me. Did he have scissors with him on the plane? If so, I kinda' think that's now considered a weapon. If not, what was he going to do? Go home with her?

Belleweather April 2, 2009 at 10:48 am

I don't get it. What was wrong with a "no thanks" if he was tipsy? For that he's arrested?

WTF?

anon e mouse April 2, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Something is missing from this story…

Flight Attendant April 3, 2009 at 10:59 pm

I am a flight attendant. The captain, who is the only person allowed to call for security, would not do that unless this FA grossly exaggerated the situation. The other 3 to 4 FA's on the flight would have had to concur as well.

Passengers always make up stories and think they know what FA's, gate agents, pilots, etc do, but in reality they don't really understand how the airline industry works. There is no grey area in air travel – everything is black and white, yes and no, and documented.

I find this story hard to believe. As I always say, "you think you know our job but you have no idea".

FA April 4, 2009 at 1:24 am

Maybe he said he wanted to 'bang' her???

Buttons April 7, 2009 at 4:33 pm

FA – That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe she didn't hear the "I'd like to trim your.." part of the sentence and only heard "I see you could use a 'bang'"?. LOL

I would assume she took it as some sort of pass and perhaps he was drunk. Seems pretty silly that they'd call airport security to arrest the guy for that though; I wonder if the OP missed some crucial facts of the actual flight.

Curtis April 8, 2009 at 10:25 am

I call Bulldooodooo

Nathaniel Webb April 15, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I think that he was hitting on the wrong type of flight attendant, I think he needed to hit on a sky guy.

Demotage April 19, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I can imagine that the FA might have taken offense; the suggestion was rather personal ( although probably better handled with a "no thankyou"). The arested part seems unlikely unless there is something more to the story.

Laura Cardwell May 28, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Shit I'd let him cut my bangs!!!

Optics December 23, 2009 at 6:48 am

BS, no one is gettin arrested for that.

Sharon February 20, 2014 at 1:24 pm

This story is suspect.

First of all, there are no "business class" seats from Chicago to New York. It's only a 2 hour flight AND aircraft on that routing only have coach and first class cabins.

Second, the basis of the story is unlikely.

James February 20, 2014 at 7:42 pm

This was posted in 2007. This could have been Continental out of Newark, which called their front cabin "business first" but in search engines came up as "business."

This search shows United still calls their seats business.