Cash Stolen by Security Personnel

March 26, 2016

in Airport Stories

About ten years ago, I was running extremely late with my family for an American Airlines flight. When I was going through security, I got stopped by two old Cuban ladies who were behind a desk at the security check point. I was told by them that my carry-on baggage needed to be checked by hand, and they pulled me aside. My family went on ahead to catch the plane and hold it for a second if possible.

My body language was somewhat frantic and I was carrying Louis Vuitton from head to toe. They proceeded to go through everything including my wallet (??) and all I wanted to do was run. They told me to sign a paper saying that my baggage had been checked and that everything was as it should be. I saw my wallet and other stuff all there and I signed the paper and ran and got on the plane. As soon as I sat down I thought, how strange, and so I opened my wallet and $600.00 cash was missing. I called a steward and told them and they assured me that when we landed in L.A. I would be able to file a complaint.

I filed the complaint. All they have to do is look at the security footage. But American Airlines tells me that they are not responsible as the security people are not under their employ. The security company tells me that American Airlines is responsible. All I want to do is have SOMEBODY look at the footage, and yet I get batted back and forth. Yes, my friends, ROBBED by airline security. Now, I dress like a pauper and carry crappy luggage. American Airlines is the worst airline in the world.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

creepingjennie March 26, 2016 at 4:34 pm

I'm not seeing how it's the airline's fault here. It's unfortunate that it happened, but I guess that's a $600 lesson learned.

mary norton March 27, 2016 at 2:39 pm

You should've stopped and "checked" everything before you left security!

Glen March 31, 2016 at 4:59 am

this smells wird

Glen March 31, 2016 at 5:00 am

weird not wired. Sorry

Chris April 2, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Based off of what you said, sounds like you may have gotten scammed. I've never been told to sign a piece of paper when going through a security check, even when my bag has been searched. That sounds to me like a way for them to cover their butts if you were to come back and complain that they had stolen your money.

Error April 18, 2016 at 9:10 am

Former soldier David Glass, 33, took the cash from the armoured trucks he drove to supply bank cash points while working for security company Loomis.

Error April 18, 2016 at 3:52 pm

But he was not suspected until he resigned on December 15 after being questioned over a missing ?1,180 taken from a delivery of cash for Hollywood Bowl, in Kingswood, Hull.

PSmith May 13, 2016 at 9:10 pm

This is a crock…why is the LV label important? Good for you buying the bag, even though judging by this story if its true your bag is likely a fake….

Kit July 11, 2016 at 9:31 pm

The whole point of the bag was that they knew she was rich if she was carrying/wearing LV so they knew she'd probably have cash.